Maid in the Philippines

By 3sha
And then there was one.

It's a yearly event.

Our maid once again managed to escape last night. "Escape," the word given by my ever so possessive-security-concious father. Escape, like we were all in a military boot camp. Escape...like we were keeping them imprisoned in our house while also ironically paying for the wages they themselves need.

Escape. Such a harsh but very much appropriate word.

It was 12 midnight when we heard curious noises. What turned out to be mistaken for a cat last night, was actually the maid shutting the gate close.

She took with her clothes of her co-worker, along with her sim card and some other hygiene stuff. It was early 6am when my mom found out and came into our room telling us about it. I was half-asleep, the kind of half sleeping with closed eyes deliberating whether to get out of bed that instant or not. Her voice a mixture of sadness, confusion and tired-anger. Later on I knew I'd hear the voice of interrogation, blame and disappointment from my father.

This one caught everyone of us by surprise. The gates are always locked up at night, so how could she have gotten out? Continuous interrogation led to the missing keys of my brother. It went missing 3 days ago (aple time to plan a great escape).

I can never understand why someone given wages and fair treatment would return it this way. I asked people if this ever happened to them, they said yes. So we weren't the only unlucky ones. This might even be a very usual scenario that happens to almost anyone who hires help around the metro.


 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?