What's in a name

By 3sha
Just this morning we received a wedding invitation where I was honored to be a bridesmaid in. Problem was they misspelled my name. What ought to be "Trisha Maryan Uy" was made to be "Maryan Tristan Uy." I immediately became a she-male. Aurgh. Now, 100+ or so people at that forthcoming wedding will then know me as Maryan Tristan Uy, the bridesmaid who was cursed by an androgynous name.

The sad part about all this is that it's my Ninong's wedding and he was the one who submitted that name to the printer. Tells you a lot about how ignorant some people can really be, right? 25 years of being my uncle and he still doesn't know my REAL name up to now. Yeah, call it a rant. Call it angst. But I do get really irritated when someone messes up my name.

A professor at our college back then even called me "Pat" thinking that my name "Trisha" comes from "Patricia." Good, he didn't call me "Patty" or even the whole name "Patricia" now that would really get on my nerves. I actually stood up in class and told him to reread the classcards thoroughly so he'd get my name right and not jump to any conclusions about its origins.

Time has made me more patient about mistaken name-callings. A badminton peep had the nerve to actually call me Patricia, but I let it pass because that was the first time we met. It still irks me though.

I give so much importance to names, after all, isn't it that when you do name someone or something, you then acknowledge its existence? I believe it does. I believe in a lot of things and I definitely believe that a name, even a nickname, will give away a person's character. Reasons behind having a name like Roderick and then renaming yourself simply Derrick translates to character. It lets you ask why people have nicknames, AKAs, and such. A friend changed her name from Riccabuena to Buenaricca. Why? Maybe Buenaricca just sounds better. Or, maybe being "good and happy" should always come first.

I even encounter a someone called "Revelyn." When I first heard it or even repeated it, it really left a bad taste in my mouth. What kind of a parent would dub their daughter, Revelyn? Yuck.
I may be altogether to judgemental about this, but to prove it, I eventually had a sideline project with that Revelyn person and I must say this, it didn't push through. After all the projections and initial designs made for that project, nothing went into actual production. Word has it that she never intended to pay for any of the design projects, wishing that everything would be served to her on a silver plate for free. Yeah, tell her to keep wishing. She even named her company "Princess Whales." I honestly fell out of my chair laughing out so hard at that name when I heard it.

Now I must reiterate, what really is in a name? Everything I guess. It distinguishes you. It reflects what you are. It is your own existence. It has a history. It even has a future. It is your entire being all rolled into one.

So call me Trisha. One word, two syllables. Easy? Yes.
 

3 comments so far.

  1. Alexis 10:00 AM
    Woe to all the Dicks and Pepes of the world!

    Hehe... hehehehe ... Sorry. I couldn't help it.

    cheers, Trisha!
  2. 3sha 11:26 AM
    hahaha ^_^
  3. The eye 7:25 PM
    Great blog which I found using wedding coordinator search. Wedding issues and the stress it can cause for wedding coordinator are worth it in the end for stable relationships.

Something to say?