He ate my heart too

By 3sha
Woohoo! I finally got to watch Howl's Moving Castle. Got the VCD at greenhills for a hundred bucks. Gonna get the DVD when it comes out hehe. The storeowner even offered Bioman and Takeshi's Castle DVDs for 250 (single CD) waaaahh, unfortunately I didn't have enough money to grab those too.

Back to Howl's movie. My god, it was great. The animation's way better than the other Hayao Miyazaki animes. They were very clever in using CG on some parts; the castle, sophie morphing into the old lady, everything was very fluid. It was so nice, I'll definitely watch it again later. It was quite loyal to the book, although I had forgotten some scenes already so I'll reread the book again this week. I did miss scenes from the book that had Sophie and Howl interacting. But nonetheless it still is a fantastic film.

When I read the book I had imagined the castle to be a rock-solid-King-arthur type but Hayao Miyazaki's mechanical rendition came out to be pretty right. I also imagined Califer, the fire demon, to be more "demonic" with angrier looking features. Instead he was rendered much like a cute fire demon, which also suited him nicely. (Though the "angry" feature did fire out mid-film.) Trademarks of Miyazaki can be found throughout the film, like the aircrafts, henchmen, and overall costume design.

Ooh and I love the dog, Heane. He has a really really cute roll-over scene. hehe.

I hope they animate, Castle in the Air (sequel to Howl's Moving Castle), too.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?