Waiting in Vain

By 3sha
Today can be summed up in two words.

Neil Gaiman.

I received an email yesterday that Fully Booked will start giving out numbered stubs on a first-come-first-served basis for the book signing today, 10:30 am. Being the fan that I am, I went there at that time and reached the reception table (oh yes, there was a long line of fans there too) at around 11am.

I was tagged fan number 527! I was surprised by the fact that it only took 30 minutes for the number to hit 500 and enthusiastic that I luckily reached the numbered slot of 700 booksignees today.

Come 3pm. The beginning of The Gathering.

Artworks slapped on accordion boards. Goth band playing on stage (obviously a delaying tactic). Goth-posers crawling around the grounds. Lady Death lookalikes with their ankh necklaces. Black was the color of the day. People of all ages gathered all over the tent, waiting.

A couple of zigs later. Neil came. Wearing the leather jacket he blogged about, he was smiling and quite surprised by the noise people could make. He was a rockstar armed with only a pen. Everyone heartily welcomed him and as soon as he reached the stage, flashing arms shot up desperately trying to catch a good picture.

He then read an excerpt from his new book, Anansi Boys. It was actually going to be his first "funny" book. So I'll most likely be getting my own copy of it, along with Mr. Punch and Mirror Mask.

Hearing the excerpt was the only good thing that actually happened to me today. And it would've been almost perfect if not for the two young girls behind me who more interested in chit-chatting between themselves about a stupid PEP rally in the middle of Gaiman's reading. GAH! Talk about annoying. I was so close to shooing them out of the tent, but instead I zigzagged my way to a new listening spot.

Now for lucky 527.

Unfortunately, come booksigning, my number didn't make it. I gave up around 7:30pm when they were accomodating numbers 90-120. I was carfully estimating the time, given the fact that only 4 hours will be given for the booksigning starting at 5pm, it'll last till 9pm. By that time he will be signing 300 books. I doubt if he will last to finish all 700 books in one sitting, his hand is going to die signing those, plus Fully Booked will insist that he rest and sign another day. Even if they extended it, I still won't make it. Cutting my losses (I didn't win in the art competition and in the raffle draw), I left early. Lucky number 527 was a bust.

I was told I could go back the tomorrow at Fully Booked Greenhills for the 2nd booksigning. But I couldn't. I have to shoot a commercial tomorrow. I'll try though. But I doubt if I'd get there in time. And Monday (3rd booksigning) was totally out of the picture. I have work on Monday.

So near...

Maybe I can get my book signed next time. Maybe never. I don't know. If a miracle happens tomorrow or on Monday, I'll thank the gods.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?